DIY Scratchbuild DLG Discuss Launch Gliders Tips
A radio controlled model sailplane or DLG glider Discus Launch Glider
in which the sailplane is held by a wingtip carbon fiber peg and spun around and released. This DLG method of launching a glider can in deed achieve launch heights of 100 to over 300 feet in the air which all depends on the aerodinamics of the glider and of course the method/technique used and strength of the individual launching the rc glider.
This requires understanding the basic principles of flight.
Aerodynamics fluid dynamics Lift Gravity force or Weight Thrust Drag Lift and Drag which are fundamentals of aerodynamic forces. AOA Angle of Attack usage of different airfoils Bernoulli Principle Newton’s Laws of Motion Principia ( Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica ) force equals mass times acceleration or F=m·a. which is as we all know Newton’s third law which states for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
After learning the fundamentals of flight, we can move on to understanding electronics needed to create a flying machine.
- power source or Lipo Batteries ( to power control surfaces)
- Cables and connections
Next we have materials needed to complete this project:
- Carbon Fiber tubes, Flat carbon rods, solid carbon pushrods
- glue ( gorilla glue, epoxy glue, CA glue )
- cutting mat board
- Xacto knives
- Disposable Brushes
- pliers, z bend,
- screw drivers of all sizes and shapes
- face mask for dust protection
- lamination cover films
- dremel tool with different tips
- hot wire cutter
- foam planks and foam sheets ( EPP, EPS, XPS, Depron )
- Scale ( grams, Ounces )
- Heat gun and or Hot iron Sealing Iron