Mechanics of flight
Newton's first law suggests that for the glider to remain in steady wings level flight, it needs to produce an equal and opposite force to counter balance the “weight” force.
This counter balance is provided by the aerodynamic force produced when air flows across a glider's wings. Air flowing along the bottom surface is decelerated and its pressure increases.
The difference in pressure between the top and bottom surfaces results in the force we call lift.
Aerodynamicists divide the force produced by a glider's wings into two parts. They call these “Lift” and “Drag”.
Lift: The aerodynamic force produced by the wings perpendicular (at right angles) to the on coming airflow. (beneficial)
Drag: The aerodynamic force exerted on the wings parallel (in line) with the oncoming airflow. (mostly undesirable)
The first of its kind with a 24" wingspan 100% hand made using competition balsa wood and high grade super light woven carbon fiber. With a weight of -+43 grams, its light enough to soar at 5 to 10mph winds. On a calm warm sunny day whether a cloud is forming or decaying, finding that perfect spot to glide over trees at your local park catching thermals, i must say its a dream.
- Wing Span @ 24"
- Wing Area @ 69.3 sq. in.
- Flying Weight @ -+43 grams
- Wing Loading @ oz/3.12sq.ft
- Airfoil = modified AG45
- Construction = competition balsa, high grade carbon boom
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. Leonardo da Vinci
HoW CaN i HeLP YoU?
FlingShot DLG Glider Kit
- Precision modified AG45 airfoil 24" competiton balsa wings
- Symmetrical airfoil tail feathers: horizontal and vertical (competiton balsa)
- Fiberglass cloth
- Carbon Fiber Roll Wrapped boom (super light weight)
- Carbon fiber push rods 2x
- Hand carved foam pod (ultra light weight and durable )
- Carbon strips for tail feathers
- All essential accessories (carbon launch peg, control horns, shrink tubes etc.)
- Micro DSM2 DSMX 2.4Ghz Receiver Lemon Rx (click here to see what receiver is best for this model)
- 130mAh 1S lipo battery (click here to see what lipo battery is best for this model)
- 2x 1.7gram micro servos (click here to see what servo is best for this model)
- Battery wire leads ( click here to see what wire leads you need for this model)
- This was for my 13 year old but i kept it for myself :). I have the servos and a spektrum Tx so it was easy for me to get her up quick. Servo leads need to be changed to 1mm micro JST It's fun to launch it and glide the sky, she is truly a floater. thank you Brad Womack CA
- Thank you so very much for the well articulated description and built. love my micro bird
- Keep up the good work mate,, I bought 2 of your gliders one converted to Electric and the other just a glider. You have something very special here. On the electric, i stuck a 5gram outrunner motor from hobbyking, she flies amazing but i can see the reason why its best to keep this as a glider, great fun